Mitt Romney Investigated by FTC for False Advertising
Home » Marketing Insights, Specials

Mitt Romney Investigated by FTC for False Advertising

Mitt-Romney-1

The FTC announced today it was launching a lawsuit against Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney for Deceptive Advertising. After a several week investigation they concluded that some statements made by Romney’s campaign constituted false and deceptive advertising practices, and more importantly, were fraudulent as they did not provide proof or actual studies to back up the claims.

Wait is this true? Of course not!

The FTC is not investigating Romney for deceptive advertising anymore than they require diet companies to prove absolutely without a doubt that their claims are true.

Oh, you say? Diet companies are required to prove their claims, but Presidential Candidates can spout any bull-crap they want?

Let’s not forget: Mitt Romney is a politician, and a damn good one. He was the Governor of Massachusettes, the most liberal state in the Union, and supported many, many liberal ideas from gun-control, to gay rights, to heavy taxes on the rich. Now running as President, he claiming he never supported those things, and is taking a different stance in order to try to win the race. Let’s at least be honest here: he’s lying to win the Whitehouse, but so do most people running for office.

So why isn’t he being charged by the FTC, along with dozens of politicians a week for deceptive advertising? They are clearly breaking the law, since the law prohibits deceptive advertising, right?

I’m not saying let’s actually go after Mitt Romney and other politicians but instead asking that we honestly examine why exactly the FTC is going after affiliate marketing companies and not Governor Mittens.

What about what large brands say about themselves, shouldn’t they be sued by the FTC?

Campbell’s claims their soups were “MMmm MMMmmm Good.” I personally think that they are basically “Umm..umm.. crap?” Have they proved that their soups were really good, or that most consumers think they are good? Doubtful. 9 out 10 people who eat Campbell’s soup probably agree with me.

I’m not even sure ANYTHING from McDonalds should quality as food. I’m not really sure what is in a Chicken Nugget, but I know its not Chicken.

Turns out also, Nutella isn’t really good for you either. Really, you mean that a spreadable mix of fat and chocolate isn’t exactly the best thing to feed your kid? Did anyone REALLY think that it was good for them?

Clorox Wipes claim that they are “Tough Cleaning in a Thick Wipe.” It’s on their case; I know because there is one sitting on my desk right now. Is it really, “Tough Cleaning?” Can you prove its tough, and what is that compared to? Is it tougher than a MMA fighter with a case of towels and a blowtorch? Also, the scent claims to be “Lemon Fresh.” Really? Smells like formaldehyde to me.

As much as I would like to see McDonalds sued for claiming they actually serve food, I’m more looking to see the FTC start acting fair.

Seriously guys, I think by now the general public should know that Acai berries do nothing more than give you a bad case of diarrhea (and thus, in theory weight loss?) and that working from home stuffing envelopes will only give you a nasty paper cut.

There comes a time where people need to grow up and stop believing everything they read.

That is what this comes down to: is the FTC going to far in “protecting” consumers from things that should be obvious? Are Americans really so dumb that they cannot make decisions for themselves and should the government be there to ensure to be their mommy? What point is it too ridiculous? I understand that the guys at the FTC are doing their job, and I completely support their work… still shouldn’t we expect more from the general public?

What’s your opinion? Are we really that dumb as a society?

There are sixteen comments. Join the discussion.

• Byrl Lane says:

The FTC does act as the consumers parents protecting their kids from an artful uncle from time to time. While its obvious that the FTC is not going to always be there, as consumers many do need to become a bit more worldly and learn to think for themselves.
    Byrl Lane recently posted..Van Hits Loading Mesa School BusMy Profile

• I’d like to see the FTC sift through the Obama campaign from 2008. He’s likely go broke with all the “false advertising” that he did. I remember him saying something along the lines of “if it’s not done by the time I’m president, I’ll bring the troops home with in a few months”. lol

The deeper issue here is that ALL politicians are inherently liars. They’ve made a career out of being shape-shifters that adapt to the public’s needs, issues, fears, etc…

Successful campaigns are built on empty promises. There’s no post-election regulation for promises made during their campaign.

Part of me thinks it’s good to see the FTC step in and do their job where it is most needed. The other part of me thinks this might just be politics. I doubt that Obama will get as much criticism as Romney.
    thisbeats9to5 recently posted..How to Stay Super Ninja Laser Focused and Make More Money As a ResultMy Profile

• Tom Justin says:

You’re the one who is deceptive for putting in such a gross and misleading headline. Then, the only presidential candidate you mention after this is Romney and unnamed politicians.

You’ve lost your credibility with me. I’ll unsubscribe now as I can’t pay attention to your site or emails without wondering, “Is this going to be a waste of my time?”

Tom Justin

• The FTC tries to “stop” anything that they aren’t getting a share of the profits yet, so they get a share in Court. McDonald’s and all the stuff like that gets taxed big time already, damaging their image would be counter productive to say the least. Not going to happen anytime soon :).

• byeepic says:

+++respect for this blog (post)

Yes all politicians are liars but Mitt Romney is the biggest of them all. I know Obama isn’t perfect either and yes Gitmo is still open, but Mitt Romney will say ANYTHING just to get a vote (and then say the opposite the next day), he is entirely untrustworthy and I know he won’t win the white house as eventually people will see through him.

Oh and as for a damn fine governor?? Under Romney’s regime, Mass. was 47th in the list of states in terms of job creation (during his entire term). And we expect THIS GUY to create jobs for us? Please, who are you kidding??

• I just started reading performinsider recently finding many of the articles insightful. It’s almost as if this post was outsourced to a completely different person. It puts forth almost all the worst arguments about the “FTC acting fair” and the “public should know better” that I’ve seen in the 5 years of running WorkATHomeTruth and recently Swindles.org.

It also completely ignores the research that’s been done by organizations such as AARP’s National Fraud Victim Study and other studies that have shown that the “should have known better” argument is nonsense.
    Paul Schlegel recently posted..Online Home Careers ScamMy Profile

• pacelattin says:

Paul, in no way whatsoever do I condone fraudulent or deceptive actions. That being said, there is a point where we need to question if its getting to much, and if perhaps asking people to prove everything they say is ridiculous.

For example, lying to people about the cost of something, fraudulent billing credit cards, refusing refunds and point blank lying is bad. I applaud the FTC for going after these scammers.

However, when is enough? Do we need the government going after Mrs. Frankel, an old lady who owns a bakery who says that she knows a bunch of peopel who ate her cookies and felt better or lost weight? Is Mrs. Frankel trying to deceive people?

• DeeCee says:

Paul, I must say I 100% agree with Pace on this one.

I am tired of all the many pages of rules trying to protect people from using their own common sense.Tired of all the baby-sitting.

First rule: There ARE NO free lunches.
      Second Rule: If it sounds to good to be true, it likely is.

It is not that difficult.

The worst problem is, that it is getting to the point where people start to expect to be protected from everything. Started thinking “if it has not been stopped, it must be good”, which is never the case.

YES. People should know better. Time for people to grow up. Common sense should still prevail.

We cannot protect people from everything that can go wrong in their lives. Especially not ordinary advertising and politicians, both of which one should expect to either exaggerate or downright lie.
      DeeCee recently posted..Updated crawler page for LinkDexMy Profile

• Mad Russian says:

A lot of retarded brainwashed Obama voters up in this shizzle, I see. He’s the biggest chameleon of them all. Also, he’s the one that is going to be redistributing your internet monies to all your welfare neighbors.

I’d rather vote for the self made wealthy guy that knows how to make and manage his money, instead of the guy that got rich after he became a president… and would rather tax you to death because you’re making an above average amount of money since its just unfair to everyone else… SPREAD THE WEALTH? Fuck that shit. You guys should be the first ones to give up your hard earned cash if you vote for him… cuz you dumbasses deserve it for being such socialist stupid asses.

PS. All politicians are liars.

Its sad to see America turn into something they tried to fight for the longest time ever.

• HatetheHaters says:

This is really sad. I really thought I had found an informative source for internet marketing news but now I am being called retarded because I might have voted for the other guy? As far as I am concerned I can turn on the radio if I want to hear hate speech from the far right because I do not share their political view points. I will be unsubscribing and taking this site off my list of daily affiliate news.

• pacelattin says:

Jaime, this is not a political publication, and the purpose was not to make a point about one specific person – which is why I pointed out all politicians do this. With 40,000+ readers, people are going to have different opinions, so please do not take what other people said as being anyway our point of view. I’m actually the guy who gets insulted the most on my own publication :) Really delighted to have you as a continued reader.

As a note, I think the person was actually calling ME retarded, not you.

• Bill Waggoner says:

THE FTC is not going to do a damn thing about Romney. He’s their next boss. Obama is a joke and everyone knows it. BYE BYE OBAMA.